Wedmore Genealogy Pages
FROM KELLY'S DIRECTORY
Chapel Allerton is a parish and village 4 miles south west from Axbridge 10 north west from Wells, in the Mid division of the County; Bemstone Hundred, Axbridge Union, rural deanery and County court district, Wells archdeaconry, diocese of Bath and Wells.
The Church (name unknown) is of the date originally of about 1220 with subsequent work of the fifteenth and seventeenth centuries; it was restored in 1860 at a cost of £1364 mainly raised by the efforts of the rector; it has a chancel, nave, north aisle, turret with 2 bells and bold porch; there is an old cross in the churchyard similar to the one at Weare. The register dates from the year 1692. The living is a rectory, yearly value £300 with about 8 acres of glebe and house in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Wells and held since 1858 by the Reverend James Coleman MA of Oriel College Oxford prebendary of Wells, rural dean of the Axbridge district of the deanery of Axbridge and honorary secretary of the Bath and West diocesan societies. There are charities of 12/6 yearly value distributed in bread on St. Thomas' day.
In this parish stood the hundred stone (which marked the hundred of Bempstone), parts of which still exist.
The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are Lords of the Manor and principal landowners. The soil is loamy; the sub-soil is limestone. The land is chiefly in pasture. The area is about 1169 acres, rateable value £3,001. The population in 1881 was 247.
Stone Allerton is a hamlet 1 mile from the parish church, but for the most part in the parish of Weare: about 8 houses in the hamlet stand in Allerton parish; it has a schoolroom.
Parish Clerk - John Clapp
Letters through Weston-super-Mare. Wedmore is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office. Letter Box cleared 5.20 pm weekdays only.
There is a national school for boys and girls erected in 1863 at a cost of £500 raised by the rector; Miss Mary Jane Walters (Mistress).
Rev James MA (Prebendary of Wells) Rectory