Wedmore Genealogy Pages
FROM KELLY'S DIRECTORY
Blackford is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1844 out of the parish of Wedmore, 2 miles west from the Church of the ancient village, about 6 south from Axbridge, 6 east from Highbridge and 6 south west from Cheddar station, in the Mid division of the County, Hundred of Bempstone, Union and County Court district of Axbridge, Burnham district of the rural deanery of Axbridge, Archdeaconry of Wells and diocese of Bath and Wells.
The Church dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an Octagon building, the living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £300 in the gift of the Vicar of Wedmore and held since 1858 by the Reverend John Matthew Hale Whish BA of Trinity College Cambridge.
The Manor of Blackford belongs to the feoffees of Bruton Hospital. Hugh Sexey esq, who was auditor to Queen Elizabeth and King James being Lord of this Manor gave it with out splendid properties AD1617 to found an establishment for the education of twelve boys and for the maintenance of 14 old men and 14 old women.
In Blackford is a mineral spring, noted for its curative effects in scrofula; it turns silver yellow. The land is mostly used for grazing. The population in 1881 was 530. Westham is a hamlet.
Office, Mrs Elizabeth Redman, receiver. Letters arrive from Weston-super-Mare
at 8 am, dispatched at 5.45 pm. The nearest Money Order Office is Wedmore.
RESIDENTS - PRIVATE
RESIDENTS - COMMERCIAL