Wedmore Genealogy Pages
FROM KELLY'S DIRECTORY
Theale is a village and an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1844 from the Civil parish of Wedmore, 4 miles north from Shapwick station, 6 miles west from Wells, 6 from Glastonbury and Cheddar, in the Mid division of the County, eastern division of Bempstone Hundred, Axbridge Union, Axbridge rural deanery, Wells Archdeaconry, diocese of Bath and Wells and situated on the Wells and Highbridge turnpike road.
The Church named Christ Church is a modern building with chancel, nave and bell cot at West end, containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1826. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £277 with residence, in the gift of the Vicar of Wedmore and held since 1879 by the Reverend James Sydenham Fowke Singleton TAKCL. The charities are of £5 yearly value.
T T Knyfton esq of Uphill Castle is the chief landowner. The soil is a rich loam: there is much lias around. The chief crops are grass. The area is 3000 acres. The population in 1881 was 769.
Bagley half a mile west is a small hamlet: New Town is a hamlet a quarter of a mile north: Panborough is 1 mile east. Mudgley is about 1 mile west of Theale belonging ecclesiastically thereto: it is an interesting hamlet much visited in consequence of its antiquarian interest. Within it is a field belonging to Mr Hill's farm called 'Palace Garden' where stood once the summer palace of Alfred the Great where the monarch entertained the celebrated Guthrum after that king's baptism: it has been demolished although its foundations may still be discovered: a silver spoon was found amongst its ruins, which the Reverend J Williamson purchased and has placed in the Bodleian library Oxford together with the brooch once belonging to that king.
Theale is a portion of the Wedmore School Board district, Board School erected 1865 for 108 children, average attendance 80. Thomas Ryman (Master).
James, Beer Retailer